PSALM 30:11-12

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."
Psalm 30:11-12

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Man in "The Man Song"

Michael Piatt. The man of my dreams.

Was it love?

Absolutely!

Was it love at first sight?

Well...not exactly...

In Sixth grade we met...and he annoyed the fire out of me. Being the pastor's kid, he always seemed to "know it all" in Sunday School. He was small, he was cocky, and he drove me completely crazy.

Our Junior High years came and went...and still, my feelings for him remained true. He was the annoying friend of my annoying twin brother. They even looked alike...which made things even more annoying!

Early High School, the annoying duo became even closer friends. They learned to play guitar (acoustic and electric), and oh the "jam sessions!" The LOUD jam sessions! All they talked about was playing their music and starting a band. Need I say, Annoying?

By late High School...he started getting taller. He actually got pretty good on the guitar and began writing songs. He felt the Lord calling him to the ministry and he began preaching a little bit and even leading in worship. He went on mission trips and grew passionate about sharing Christ with others. He grew bold in his faith. He grew older. He grew cuter. He grew more annoying? Not so much.

The summer before our senior year of high school, we both went on a mission trip to Africa. He went to Kenya, and I went to the Ivory Coast. As excitement grew in both of our hearts and we began to prepare individually for our journeys, we couldn't help but be excited for each other. We also couldn't help but feel a connection to one other. We were going to the same Continent! A Continent where no one else in our church had been! That fact amazed us both and gave us a reason to meet together weekly for prayer. During those times we prayed for each other, for the missionaries we would meet and work with, for the people groups we would encounter, and for the individual missions we were about to embark on. It was in those prayer times that God changed my heart. It was in those prayer times that "annoyance" disappeared and in its place "attraction" emerged.

We officially began dating in December of 2001. That next August, we both headed to Nacogdoches to begin our Freshman year of college at Stephen F. Austin State University. Those four years of college were some of the best years of my life. I had an unbelievable boyfriend...one that I didn't appreciate enough. He loved me deeply and unconditionally and I didn't deserve him. He was patient. He was so very caring. He was wonderful. Although he was ready to get married right out of high school, I was a bit slower. It wasn't until our Sophomore year of college that I realized I was head over heels for him, and Fall of our  Senior year, he proposed.

June 10, 2006 we were married...and oh, what a beautiful day it was! We had an unbelievable summer together. I will forever be thankful for the time we had together as husband and wife before cancer; no matter how short it was. He was such a wonderful husband. Our first apartment came together so beautifully...and all I had to do was point! He was such a handyman. Such a hard worker. Such a servant. He truly loved me like Christ loved the Church. I was blessed beyond measure!

When cancer hit in October of 2006...he remained solid. He was the one who was sick...and yet, he was the rock in our relationship. He reminded me constantly of God's faithfulness. He would remind me of His Sovereignty in all things and gently lead me back to the cross when I drifted. He was strong. He wasn't perfect...he got scared too...and at times frustrated. However, what made him different from me was that he never ended a prayer, even one of questioning, without praising God. Praising Him for his life. Praising Him for his family. Praising Him for his cancer. He would often come home from a doctor's visit, a sub job, a hospital stay, a Chick-fil-a shift, or even a grocery store run with a smile on his face...all because someone asked about the scar on his head. He loved sharing about cancer...because it always gave him an opportunity to share about Christ. He was so thankful for that.

October 2006-December 2010, his faith never wavered. He loved, he fought, he gave, he served, he worshiped, he lived, and he died...all to the glory of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Michael Piatt. A man after God's own heart.

Michael Piatt. A faithful servant with a heart for worship.

Michael Piatt. The man of my dreams.

I can't end this post without sharing this video with you. He and his college buddy Shawn wrote this song for a talent show. Although the lyrics made me absolutely CRAZY back then...I find myself watching it more and more these days. He had a way of making me smile...no matter what he was saying...or what he was doing. Even when he would so passionately sing "The Man Song," I couldn't hold back the laughter! Does this video remind me of happier times? Yes. Does it make me upset sometimes when I see it? Absolutely. It often makes me long for the things that were and sad for the things that are no longer. But then, when I really look at his face...I am filled with joy. You see...he was sick for so long. In this video, however, he is so healthy. So full of energy. So full of life. My prayer is that when you watch it, you too will be filled with joy. That you too would be comforted. Because at this exact moment that handsome smile is back on his face. That energetic body is dancing before the throne and that beautiful voice is singing praises to our King. Praise God!

Michael Piatt. "The Man in the Man Song."

4 comments:

  1. this is great, Brooke! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sitting on the cabin porch when that song was written.....a memory I will always cherish. Thanks Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke thank you for your honesty, love, passion, and grace!

    ReplyDelete