PSALM 30:11-12

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."
Psalm 30:11-12

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Praise God From Whom All "Blessings" Flow

So often, I find myself utterly amazed. Our Savior is so very compassionate to a people so very undeserving. 

Just recently, I heard Laura Story's "Blessings" on the radio for the first time. My mom and I were driving to town and although we were having a great conversation, it was abruptly halted when the lyrics of this song began. Personally, I was struck speechless as I listened, and after turning the volume up, my eyes filled with tears. "Wow God" I silently cried, "I really needed to hear that." After arriving home, I googled the song. What I found, brought me to more tears. In 2006, shortly after Laura Story was married, her husband was diagnosed with brain cancer. The words of this song came from an overflowing heart...a heart enduring pain, uncertainty, fear, and worry...a heart of a new wife walking along side her precious husband-journeying cancer together...a heart of a young woman striving to to be strong...a heart of a caregiver...a heart of daughter questioning her Father...and the heart of a believer learning to trust. 

As difficult as it is for me to admit...I have found myself angered, frustrated, and even embittered by my current circumstances. Over the last four years, and even recently, I have found myself convinced that I am the only one. The only newlywed struck so devastatingly by brain cancer. 

Wow...how very wrong I have been...how very wrong I am. 

Achingly, my heart cries out, "Oh God forgive me! May my eyes be opened to see others...others who are caught in the same exact storm, others caught in a storm all their own, others who are 'dancing in the rain' right beside me." 


Blessings
Artist: Laura Story
Album: Blessings

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

‘Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
As long as we have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise

6 comments:

  1. SO glad you're sharing your feelings and experiences. I hope that your blog will give other young ladies comfort, that they are not alone in their struggles that are similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, Thanks for sharing. I have recently gone through a very rough spot in my marriage, and it is easy to feel like you are the only one and you kind of forget to remember that God has a plan for everything. And everything turns out for the best, even if it is a tough struggle. Love you! Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so drawn to this song as well. I quoted it in bible class last night. I love the part about the pain being a reminder that this world is not our home. What a comfort to know our true and final resting place will know nothing of sorrow, pain or tears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brooke!!

    My name is Megan and Kayla (Golden) told me about you!

    We just recently went to Feminar where Laura Story was the worship leader and shared the story and song - Blessings! Messages in songs are definitely more beautiful when you hear the testimony behind it.

    So glad Kayla mentioned your blog... I'll be stopping by often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, words can't express how special this is. I miss Michael so much my heart aches but there is comfort in seeing how his testimony is still ministering to others. You and Titus are the greatest gifts my family has ever been given. Thank you for loving my brother.

    ReplyDelete