PSALM 30:11-12

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."
Psalm 30:11-12

Friday, March 21, 2014

"Don't Forget" (March 18)

Kneeling on the original stones of where Jesus's journey of carrying the cross began is what sticks out to me the most today. When Jess (from NGEN radio) began singing "Oh the blood of Jesus," I was overcome with emotion. We had just read, as a group, the account of Christ's unjust trial and of the horrific suffering that He had endured leading up to this point, and when her angelic voice filled the walls of the chamber, I started to tremble.


We began our symbolic climb, following what is believed to be the path that Jesus took to His crucifixion.



The street was busy, with money changers and market shops on both sides. People were everywhere! Often, caught up in the hustle and bustle and in people watching, I would completely lose sight of what it was we were doing. And then, out of nowhere, something would remind me. Stopping at one of the 14 stations, I looked down, and there in the stone I was standing on, was the shape of a cross. A simple marking in the stone. A beautiful gift from our Father, gently reminding me "don't forget."


I smiled and breathed up a prayer of thanksgiving. We started moving again, distractions everywhere. We stopped at another station and this time, my mom gently touched my arm and whispered, "look." There in the stone at her feet was the shape of a heart. Another sweet reminder from our gracious Savior, "don't forget."


The climb ended and we lunched on the rooftop of a restaurant located in the heart of Old Jerusalem. Looking out, we could see the city and even make out the Kidron Valley and the Garden of Gethsemane. I was awestruck. (We were eating lunch on a rooftop in Jerusalem! Really?!)





We made it to the Western Wall soon after we ate. The fact that this magnificent place is still standing today, after the destruction of Jerusalem time and time again, amazes me. As if it stands to say "don't forget."


We had the opportunity to pray at the Wall...


and as we were walking away, I almost ran into two little boys. Jewish boys, walking the streets alone. The older leading the younger. The reason that I almost ran into them was not because I wasn't looking where I was going, but because they were not looking where they were headed. You see, the older little boy was completely lost in the book he was reading. The book, I noticed after a second glance, was the Holy Scriptures. I couldn't believe it! I ran back to snap a picture and couldn't get the imagine out of my head for the rest of the day.


Oh, to love the Bible like that!

To love it and to teach my son to love it, that is my prayer!

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
Deuteronomy 6:4-7


What sweet reminders the Lord gave us today in the city of Jerusalem. The city that He wept over. How many times has my heart strayed away and how many times has He wept over me? Countless. Yet, because of His sacrifice on the cross, there is grace. I am forgiven. You are forgiven. And in His mercy, he gently whispers. He gently convicts and He gently reminds. "Dear child of mine, don't forget."

No comments:

Post a Comment